Saturday, July 13, 2013

Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour

Well, here it is my friends, the Whiskey Sour. This particular cocktail certainly falls into that area I call the “gentleman drinks.” This is a sit down and enjoy some conversation, or even just reflect on life type of drink. There are no umbrellas, or tiki garnishes. In fact, it's all quite minimal. And I do believe that is it's beauty.

First, your base spirit, Whiskey, more specifically Bourbon. In this case, as with any of my drinks requiring Bourbon, Makers Mark. So smooth,it just has a taste of quality, warmth and richness.

Add some fresh squeezed lemon juice. Let me make one thing clear. Do not pop open a bottle of Sweet & Sour mix, do not squeeze one of those plastic dopplelemon wannabees. You are only cheating yourself. When it comes to a cocktail like this, take the time to do it right. You will be rewarding yourself, you will thank yourself, and you may even invite yourself back.

Add some sweetness. I use simple syrup. I make my own. There are varying degrees and ratios. Here's mine. 4 cups sugar, 2 cups water. Boil the water, stir in the sugar. Let it all dissolve, let it cool some and pour into a glass container. Let it cool on it's own. I used an empty glass triple sec mixer bottle at first. Then I went to goodwill and found some glass bottles of grooviness. You will find yourself using a lot of simple syrup in cocktails, so it's good to keep a bottle or two close.

Last, there is a garnish. A single maraschino cherry. Whilst you have been enjoying your drink this tasty treat has been soaking up all this bourbony-lemony goodness. And now like the prize at the bottom of a box of Lucky Charms it is your privilege, your reward, so enjoy it!

Whiskey Sour
2oz Bourbon
1oz lemon juice (1 lemon)
3/4 oz simple syrup
Cherry for garnish
-------------------
Pour the whiskey, lemon juice, and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker then add some ice cubes.
Shake well.
Strain into a chilled martini glass.
Garnish with cherry.

I chose this drink because first of all, it is my favorite bourbon drink. Also, because this is the drink that sealed my love of preparing drinks for people. I will get more into the idea and motivations of why I love preparing cocktails later, but for now the tale. I was throwing a going away party for my folks and there were umbrellas in everything. Jimmy Buffett was playing, even a bit of the Elvis Blue Hawaii album. Ner the less, my friend Jan (pronounced Jon) walked over to my bar to say hello. I offered him a drink, and he declined saying these were not really his kind of drinks. I then told him I had just the drink for him. I made him up a Whiskey Sour. He took the first sip and gave one of those pleasant surprise looks followed by a “whoooo!” That's usually a good sign. He found a corner and some conversation, and proceeded to talk about..the drink. Soon I was making up a couple more as the reputation of my Whiskey Sour spread. After a bit my friend came back and said “You're my bartender.” I guess you could say, I really liked the ring of that. Till next week my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment